Plan a two days trip from Bangalore to the coffee land of Chikmagalur
Chikmagalur is fondly known as the “Coffee land of Karnataka.” It is situated at an altitude of 3,400 feet and provides an exclusive opportunity to walk through the coffee plantations cultivated all over the place. If you want you to escape from the tedious 9 to 5 work-life, this will be a perfect weekend getaway from Bangalore.
Ideal for: Trekking, adventure, and sight-seeing
Visit time: The climate throughout the year is pleasant and refreshing. However, it is ideal for visiting during the months from September to May
Visit duration: It is preferable to plan for a two days trip to Chikmagalur, where you will comfortably be able to cover a handful of places.
Visitor’s fee: No such charges are applicable
Guide Fee: No such fees are applicable
How to reach by car/bus/train:
- By car: If you are planning to reach Chikmagalur by car, it takes around 4 hours from Bangalore.
- By bus: You can also reach Chikmagalur by local buses, which take 6 hours from Bangalore.
- By train: There are no direct trains from Bangalore. You can either travel to Hassan, which is at 60 kms from Chikmagalur or Kadur, which is at 40 kms distance from Chikmagalur.
Distance from Bangalore: 243 kms
Pit stops on the way: From Indian cuisines to Italian, from cafes to seafood restaurants, Chikmagalur houses a variety of options for food lovers. A few places famous among the travelers are Cafe Agape, G K, the bake lounge, the Spice, Siri cafe, Hotel Taj, and Salpicon.
Things to do:
- Experience a relaxing and rejuvenating stay at the coffee estates of Chikmagalur.
- You can even choose a jungle homestay which is close to a waterfall or a pond and enjoy the serene Nature.
- Take an off-road, thrilling adventure to Kyatanamakki hills that is covered with lush greenery.
- Visit the coffee museum to indulge in the best aromatic experience of witnessing and learning the entire process of coffee making.
- If you are a spiritual person, do pay a visit to the famous Sharadhambal temple.
Nearby places to visit:
- There are a bunch of famous waterfalls around Chikmagalur, such as Hanuman Gundi Waterfalls, Jhari Waterfalls, Kadambi Falls, and Shankar Falls.
- You can also visit the Sri Chennakesava temple at Belur.
- Yagachi Dam in Hassan district is famous for water sports, and
- Mullayanagiri, which is at a distance of 20 kms from Chikmagalur, is a favorite place amongst the trekkers.
Interesting facts: This place was presented to the younger daughter of Rukmangada, the chief of Sakrepatna, as a dowry, and that is how the site got the name Chikmagalur; the literal translation is “young daughter’s town.”
The coffee of Chikmagalur has recently received a GI certification from the Geographical Indications Registry.
Travel guide: If you are planning on taking a bike trip from Bangalore, do not forget to carry a camera with you to capture the exquisite scenery and landscape that you can flaunt on your social media pages for days.