Pondicherry – Best time to visit, places to see and things to do
Pondicherry is an ideal weekend getaway from Bangalore, be it a bike trip with your friends or family or your partner. There’s plenty to see, do, or experience. This coastal union territory was earlier under the French colonization, and hence a lot of French architecture and culture still prevails.
Ideal for: leisure, photography and bike ride from Bangalore.
Best time to Visit Pondicherry: It is preferable to visit Pondicherry from October to March when the temperature is pleasant and remains between 15 – 30 degrees. While in summers temperature could go up to 40 degrees.
How to reach Pondicherry from Bangalore?
- By car: Pondicherry is at a distance of 312 kms from Bangalore and takes six and a half hours to reach by car.
- By bus: There are direct buses available to Pondicherry from Bangalore, and the journey duration is approximately 9 hours.
- By train: There are a few direct trains that flee from Bangalore to Pondicherry. Depending on the choice of train, the travel duration can range between 10 and 11 hours.
Distance from Bangalore to pondicherry: 320 – 330kms
Places to See in Pondicherry:
- Paradise beach, located near the town of Pondicherry, in Chunnambar, is a popular vacation spot. You can enjoy the backwaters, the cold breeze, and even do bird watching.
- Sri Aurobindo Ashram is a popular spiritual place for a surprisingly relaxing experience. Thousands of tourists pay a visit to this ashram all year round, to gain abundant spiritual knowledge.
- Rock beach – a popular beach in Pondicherry, as the name suggests it is a beach full of rocks and thus not suitable for swimming. There are plenty of shops and restaurants in close proximity to Rock beach where you can satisfy your taste buds.
- Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus – A well-maintained structure with beautiful architecture.
- Auroville is a landmark to the town of Pondicherry and is a must-visit on your trip to Pondicherry. It translates to ‘city of dawn’, and it is a township area where people from across the world, irrespective of traditions and culture, come to live together and embrace peace.
- Seaside Promenade perfectly reflects the French culture and gives you a feel-good experience, be it a lunch on a sunny day or a dinner on a starry night along the coast.
- Whitetown colony in Pondicherry reflects the old french colonial vibes, it has a number of famous cafes and bakeries serving French gourmet.
Things to do in Pondicherry:
- Pondicherry offers scuba diving experience along the natural coral reefs of the east coast. You could be lucky to spot eels, kingfish, rays, sea snakes, and even dolphins, turtles, or sharks.
- A huge crowd gathers, from too early in the morning, to watch the sunrise from the east coast of India.
- If you are enthusiastic about fishing, get your hands on. There are lots of scopes to go fishing on the beaches of Pondicherry.
- If you are planning on a two days trip to Pondicherry from Bangalore, allocate enough time for cycling around the town, where you will find colorful buildings and warm local people.
- Try out the exquisite variety of gourmet foods from the endless number of French cafes around the town. You also get cheap alcohol at Pondicherry.