Looking for serene tourist places near Bangalore- choose Wayanad
Wayanad, situated in the state of Kerala, is one of the tourist favorite hill stations near Bangalore. Wayanad is filled with an abundance of wildlife and lush greenery, making it an apt representation in God’s own land. The aromatic spice plantations, picturesque landscapes and a fresh, breezy climate throughout the year, give it an illusion of heaven and will want you never to leave this place.
Ideal for: leisure, trek, adventure, nature photography and bike ride from Bangalore
Best time to Visit Wayanad: Wayanad is open to tourists throughout the year. However, it is ideal for visiting from October to May when it is winter and early summer season.
Visit duration: People generally spend 3 to 4 days at this place, where they will be able to cover at least 75 percent of the areas conveniently.
Visitor’s fee: Depends on the places you are visiting in Wayanad.
How to reach Wayanad from Bangalore?
- By car: it takes around 6 hours to reach Wayanad.
- By bus: There are direct routes available by bus, and the journey duration is between 6 and 7 hours.
- By train: The nearest train station from Wayanad is Kozhikode, which is located at a distance of 110 kms. There are frequent trains that operate from Bangalore to Wayanad.
Distance from Bangalore to Wayanad: 280-300kms
Pit stops on the way: You will find a variety of cuisines in Wayanad, ranging from Arab, Zamorin, to Brahmin and Chirakkal. Do try out their star dishes such as the Malabar Paratha, Pathiri, saffron rice, and dum biriyani. You also get local alcohol fermented from coconut and palm trees that are grown in this region.
Things to do in Wayanad:
- Enjoy river rafting and trekking in the Kuruva island and also walk across the bridges made of bamboo.
- You can also choose to go boating near the Edakkal caves, which offers choices such as Kayaking, pedal boating, and row boating.
- Explore the prehistoric caves and crystal clear streams and rivers at Sulthan Bathery, which is a small town famous amongst the tourists.
Near by places to visit in Wayanad:
- Muthanga wildlife sanctuary
- Pookode lake
- Chembra peak
- Soochipara falls
- Lakkidi viewpoint
- Kuruva island
- Edakkal caves
- Banasura Sagar Dam
Interesting facts about Wayanad:
- Edakkal caves, situated in Wayanad, is of archeological significance. It is the only cave that has carvings dating back to the stone age. The cave is also believed to have connections with the Indus Valley civilization.
- Banasura Sagar Dam, located in Wayanad, is the second-largest earth dam in Asia and the first largest in India. This dam is situated in the foothills of the Banasura hills, which is the third-largest peak in the Western Ghats.
Travel guide to Wayanad:
- To maintain the serene beauty of flora and fauna in the Kuruva islands, the authorities have restricted activities such as picnics and parties in that place.
- If you are looking for romantic getaways near Bangalore, Wayanad offers the best packages to enjoy the relaxing vacation. There are a lot of tour packages available for a stay at a treehouse which shouldn’t miss a place on your checklist to Wayanad.